Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Capstone Reflection

In the past few months of my capstone project i have been shadowing an Automotive Technician. The experience was a great one. I had the chance to look at cars in a way that only trained professionals get to look at. I got the chance to look at the cooling system and the break system. I also got a better understanding of how the cars systems work. My mentor was guiding my step by step on how to inspect and fix certain parts of a car. I also took time out to learn on my own with a textbook he gave me to look at.

At times the job shadow was hard because at times I did not understand some of the things my mentor would tell me. Like when he was explaining how to do a break service. He started the lesson off with talking about the caliper. I was completely lost when he said that word. So i asked and he explained what it was. I was trying really hard to keep up so he would not have to keep stopping his job to explain. Days like that i would usually go home and read up on the job we worked on that day.

At the start of my project i thought that being a mechanic was what i really wanted to be. It seemed like the coolest and manliest thing to do because all you do all day is work on cars. But after i was done meeting with my mentor I started to really think of if i really wanted to pursue an automotive career. At the end of it all I came to the conclusion that I did not want to do this for a living. I think cars are really cool and I still do find them interesting. But I find that cars are more of a hobby to me.

The main challenge I over came during my capstone project was the understanding  of all the car parts and their jobs. Like one part of a car that you may have never heard of may be a part of another part that you have not heard of. And I usually would ask a lot of questions or if not try to read up on it so i can try top get a better understanding of the part.

Over all the entire experience was a great one. I got the chance to get an understanding of how the job field is and understand basic components to a car. The job shadow was also great because it showed me that working on cars is something that in really do not want to do as a career. And I am thankful for the time my mentor took to teach me something that he did not have to do.

Thank you for following my time with my mentor and Goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment